- Customers can earn more Starbucks Rewards on their orders through an integrated loyalty program
- Wide-ranging partnership will cover Southeast Asia’s six largest markets by 2024
- Expands the Starbucks FoodShare program to communities in Southeast Asia
Malaysia, 21 March 2022 – Starbucks today announced an integrated partnership with Grab, Southeast Asia’s leading superapp, across six markets, including the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Vietnam. The partnership will provide customers across Southeast Asia with a seamless Starbucks Experience, allowing them to earn Starbucks Rewards benefits on purchases through Grab, have more ways to order and pay in stores, and enjoy their Starbucks orders sooner with last-mile delivery fulfilment through Grab’s delivery network.
Customers will be able to enjoy more personalised and convenient experiences that deepen their connection to Starbucks through a range of Grab services including GrabPay, GrabRewards, GrabFood, GrabExpress and GrabGifts. Building on Starbucks and Grab’s shared commitment to creating positive impact, the partnership will also help provide food assistance to communities in need across Southeast Asia, while reducing food waste, through the expansion of Starbucks FoodShare food donation program, starting in the Philippines this March.
“As one of the most digitally connected regions in the world, Southeast Asia continues to inspire us to elevate the Starbucks Experience,” said Erin Silvoy, vice president, product and marketing, Starbucks Asia Pacific. “Our partnership with Grab allows us to provide more options for customers to create a Starbucks Experience that is right for them, while also helping to deliver a positive impact in the communities we serve through the FoodShare program.”
“Consumers like the convenience of food delivery but they also enjoy meeting up with friends in Starbucks over a cup of coffee. We believe the online ordering and in-store dining experience will become more connected, as brands in Southeast Asia look for ways to bridge these channels. We are excited to be working with Starbucks, one of the most iconic and loved coffee retailers, on this wide-ranging partnership to deliver a more personalised, rewarding, and seamless experience to our customers,” added Saad Ahmed, Managing Director, Commercial at Grab.
Integrated loyalty program
A first for Starbucks in Southeast Asia, Starbucks will integrate Starbucks Rewards with the Grab platform so that customers can enjoy more ways to earn rewards on their Starbucks orders. Starbucks Rewards members will be able to link their accounts with GrabRewards to earn both Stars and GrabRewards points for every order made through GrabFood. In the future, customers will also have the option to sign up for a Starbucks Rewards membership via the Grab app and redeem free beverages, birthday treats, and exclusive offers . The company will introduce this new feature in the Philippines in the second half of 2022, with plans to expand to additional Southeast Asia markets by 2024.
Delivering seamless customer experiences across Southeast Asia
Customers will be able to enjoy the Starbucks experience through expanded options and solutions through Grab including:
- Pay with the same e-wallet online and in-store: Customers will have the option to pay for their orders via their GrabPay e-wallets in-store and in-app, giving them more ways to earn GrabRewards as well as Starbucks Rewards Stars.
- Order online for in-store pick-up via GrabFood: Customers can skip the line and order their favourite food and beverage items directly from GrabFood’s self-pick up feature, which will inform them when their orders are ready for pick up.
- Instant delivery via GrabExpress: Customers can get their favourite Starbucks food and beverages delivered to their doorsteps faster than before by GrabExpress, when they order via Starbucks owned channels.
- Social gifting through GrabGifts: Customers can now purchase and send pre-loaded Starbucks gift cards to friends and family via the Grab app in the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Vietnam.
Creating Positive Impact through Starbucks FoodShare program
As part of Starbucks People Positive aspirations, focused on enhancing the well-being of all who connect with Starbucks, the company will launch its FoodShare food donation program this March in the Philippines, starting with 40 stores in the Metro Manila area. Starbucks regional partnership with Grab will enable participating stores to connect with Grab drivers to pick up food donations from stores daily and deliver them to local non-profit organisations such as the Philippine Food Bank Foundation. Starbucks aims to expand the reach of the program to more communities in the Philippines, as well as additional markets throughout Southeast Asia.
FoodShare started in 2016 after Starbucks partners (employees) advocated for a program that would allow stores to donate unsold food and distribute it to people facing hunger in communities across the U.S. FoodShare is now available at 100% of US and Canada company-owned stores.
Since entering the Southeast Asia region over 25 years ago, Starbucks has expanded to more than 1,882 stores across the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Vietnam, with more than 19,853 partners proudly wearing the green apron. The company is committed to driving continued sustainable growth by investing in digital innovations that deliver meaningful value and convenience and social impact initiatives that create positive impact in the communities we serve.