13 times more Functional Homemakers shopping on Shopee in 2022 compared to 2019
KUALA LUMPUR, 21 SEPTEMBER 2022 – As the year-end shopping season continues apace, Shopee Malaysia has dived deep into its data to understand what its users are searching for and what drives them to shop online. The e-commerce platform analysed the behaviour of frequent shoppers.
Key findings include:
- There are 13 times more Functional Homemakers online this year compared to three years ago (Year-to-Date January to August 2022 vs same period 2019). Since 2019, the search for air-fryers has grown by 11 times, vacuum cleaners by 8 times and food processors by 4 times.
- The top 5 online shopping personas as demonstrated keyword popularity on today are:
- Functional Homemakers (24%), who seek premium home appliances with a warranty and search for latest technology in smart home devices.
- Digital Replenishers (23%), who build an ecosystem of productive digital accessories with ipads, tablets, stylus, earphones and mobile cases.
- Impulse Indulgers (18%), who treat themselves by snacking on treats, or accessorising with jewellery, sunglasses and nail art.
- Gifting Butterflies (10%), who love surprising friends and families with gift sets, hampers, bouquets, chocolates and festive delights.
- Success Seekers (8%), preparing for ambitious goals, with motivational books, leather handbags, perfume, oxford shoes and cufflinks.
- Other notable personas online include: Health Devotees, Nurturing Caretakers, Outdoor Enthusiasts and Green Shoppers.
- As Malaysians prioritise nature and fitness, there are 4 times more Outdoor Enthusiasts online this year buying camping cookware, tents, portable folding chairs, and sleeping bags year-to-date August 2022 compared to the same period in 2021.
“The truth is, with so many brands and millions of sellers on Shopee, users can find everything they need, from daily essentials to premium luxury products. We strive to understand what products and information Malaysians are searching online in order to be able to better provide them with highly personalised and recommended Shopee Mall and Shopee Premium brands in their favourite categories as we believe informed Malaysians make better purchasing decisions,” said Kenneth Soh, Head of Marketing Campaigns at Shopee Malaysia.
Malaysians online are redefining what ‘information’ means as they shop on online marketplaces looking for exclusive deals, buyer testimonials, engaging content, influencer recommendations, and loyalty rewards tailored to their specific preferences.
Malaysian online shoppers can look forward to different themed days featuring top Shopee Brand and Mall category deals including from brands which recently onboarded on Shopee Premium such as Bang & Olufsen, BOSE, Dyson, Le Creuset, Moët Hennessy and Osulloc in the upcoming Shopee 10.10 Brands Festival campaign.
Stay tuned to more insights from Shopee Malaysia as part of its “Winning Loyalty with E-commerce” insights will be revealed in the upcoming Shopee 10.10 Brands Festival.
- The keyword search analysis is Shopee’s data from January 2019 – August 2022